[paranoia] audio burn: what did I do wrong?

Fredrik Mellstr?m traal at altavista.net
Sat Nov 18 01:14:22 PST 2000

On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 10:16:23PM -0600, Christopher Jones wrote:
> I just tried to write my first audio cd. The result is a cd
> which plays fine in my cdrom drive, using cdp, but won't even
> get recognized by any "real" cdplayer.

I have no idea about this.  Anyone else?

> I used the methods described in the CD-Writing HOWTO:

That howto must be jurassic.

> 1) I ripped using cdparanoia -d /dev/... -w "X" <filename>.wav
>
> 2) I converted using sox <filename>.wav <filename>.cdr
>
> 3) I wrote using cdrecord ... -audio  *.cdr
>
> So what have I done wrong?

You can use normal wav files instead.  This is much simpler:

1) cdparanoia -d /dev/... -B 1-

2) cdrecord dev=/dev/... -v -audio -pad *.wav

Done!

(Yes, I know, no need for -pad if you just ripped the wavs.)

You can also use gcombust (http://www.abo.fi/~jmunsin/gcombust/),
which is actually a very nice frontend.  I didn't think I would
like it, since I usually do things "the hard way" (i.e.
http://www.foxtrot.com/comics/archives/ifruit/5.html), but it's
good.  I normally use a homemade shell script for burning, though.
CLI junkie :-).  If anyone is interested in my script -- which is
pretty neat, if I may say so myself ;-) -- just holler and I'll
send to you (or to the list).

//traal

--
Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what's right. /Asimov