[paranoia] Slow ATAPI drive, even with SG drivers

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu May 11 13:24:56 PDT 2000

> Hmm.  I believe it's the whole track -- I sat and watched about a half-hour
> of it before going to bed, and on getting up, noticed the final time stamp
> was about two hours after I'd started it.  I'll fire off another run and
> see, though.

OK. Hrm, ATAPI driver... it cqan loop forever on underruns and never bother
reporting it...

> (I've gone back to using the stock drivers for now, as my RH box was having
> problems mounting data cd's with the scsi emulation, and I was feeling too
> lame to actually chase down the problem just then.  :)

That means your kernel is substantially newer than your filesystem utilities.
Modern versions of mount(1) have no trouble with mounting SCSI emulation cdrom
drives (but I did have this problem myself in the past when I kept upgrading
the kernel and not the rest of the system).

Monty