[paranoia] Slow ATAPI drive, even with SG drivers

Adam Hirsch adam at baz.org
Thu May 11 06:49:55 PDT 2000

Monty (xiphmont at xiph.org) wrote:

> OK, so we *are* waiting for the cdrom drive.  Two questions:

> You say you tried -Z; does the extraction take forever only at the beginning/
> end, or throughout the whole track?

Hmm.  I believe it's the whole track -- I sat and watched about a half-hour
of it before going to bed, and on getting up, noticed the final time stamp
was about two hours after I'd started it.  I'll fire off another run and
see, though.

> What version of cdparanoia?  May I see the output from -vQ?

>>cdparanoia -vQ
>>cdparanoia III release 9.7 (December 13, 1999)
>>(C) 1999 Monty <monty at xiph.org> and Xiphophorus

>>Report bugs to paranoia at xiph.org
>>http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/

>>Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
>>        Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
>>                CDROM sensed: ATAPI compatible ATAPI 44X CDROM

(I've gone back to using the stock drivers for now, as my RH box was having
problems mounting data cd's with the scsi emulation, and I was feeling too
lame to actually chase down the problem just then.  :)

      Be kind; everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.  -J. Watson
                 <adam at baz.org> adam hirsch <http://web.baz.org/~adam/>