[SPAM?] Re: [paranoia] Streaming Errors

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Jun 19 10:12:53 PDT 2000

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000, John Lawless wrote:

> Monty,
>
>      I have, for example, performed several reads in succession on a problem
> track.  While no "V" or "!" appeared, the majority of the status bar was
> filled with "+".  No two reads produced the same WAV file, as determined by
> cmp.  This means that errors got through, doesn't it?
>
>      (By contrast, on normal CDs, I find that successive reads using
> cdparanoia produce whole disk WAV files that are byte-to-byte identical.)

  I wuld say that you are doing well if you get files which are identical,
but any major problem is unusual. Since cmp (mine anyway) doesn't resync
once it finds a difference between files, you're likely to see more
problem than there is if a few bits in the lead-in vary.

  You might try converting a few k of each file to ASCII ones and zeros,
and using diff on that. It may show that the files are the same in terms
of audible content. Or not.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc