[paranoia] bug in cdparanoia-III-alpha9.7

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Sun Jun 18 22:53:50 PDT 2000

> I still have the "100% CPU utilization, no progress, little CDROM
> activity" on my machine, even after installing the version III alpha9.7
> from your website.
>
> I am running Redhat 6.2 with Helixcode Gnome, with tons of RAM and a
> PIII. I ran into this problem using grip with some CDs I was ripping for
> a party this weekend, when the ripping operation seemed to hang up at
> the end of a track. So I tried the newest version, but it still does the
> same thing. It seems like this happens on at least one track with
> probably 4 out of 10 CDs that I have tried to rip.

A number of recent drives have decided that the pregaps between tracks, which
are marked in the subcode as digital silence, are not actually audio and refuse
to read them, or just get hung up in general.  I'm wondering if this is a
particular strain of firmware that's getting OEMed around... :-)

Some Lite-Ons are known to have this problem.

I don't have a work around for the problem yet, but I plan to come up with one.

Do you really have 100% CPU utilization, or do you have a load of 1 (which just
indicates waiting for IO?)  If you really do have 100% CPU utilization (ps and
top will tell you), then that's a different problem....

Monty