[paranoia] A question that has been asked a million times before

Bryan Ischo bischo at plumbdesign.com
Thu Jul 27 16:09:36 PDT 2000

I know that this must have been asked a million times already, so
forgive me ... but I did look through the FAQ and did not find it
mentioned.  I also scanned the paranoia mailing list archives, but
without a "search" feature it is hard to find the answer ...

Anyway, I have a data CD, not an audio CD, and it apparently has
seen too much abuse because I am no longer able to read some
of the files (I get CRC errors in Windows when I try to copy all
of the files off, and Linux gives me "Input/output error").  This
is a pressed CD with a software product on it (made by everyone's
favorite evil empire in the pacific northwest).

cdparanoia does not seem to work with data CD's.  I know that
data CD's already have error correcting codes in the sectors,
so perhaps there is nothing that cdparanoia could do even if it
would try to "rip" the data off the CD ... I mean, maybe a
read failure on a disc which already includes error correcting
codes means that the disc is a complete write-off, end of story.

Or, maybe cdparanoia can save the day ... if only it would try
to read data CD's as well as audio CD's.

Does anyone have any comments on this?

Thank you, and sorry to waste anyone's time ...
Bryan

p.s. cdparanoia kicks a** on audio CD's ....

        p l u m b d e s i g n

        Bryan Ischo | Software Developer
        157 chambers st ny ny 10007
        p.212-285-8600 x233 f.212-285-8999