[paranoia] bug in cdparanoia

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Sun Jan 16 23:49:46 PST 2000

> I had the same problem. If I remember correctly, it also happened any
> time I was reading a bunch of data off the cd. It only went away when
> I stopped using PPP and went to ethernet over DSL.  My suspicion is
> that the problem has something with the ide-scsi module. But I'm not
> really much of a systems person.

It is not an IDE-SCSI problem and is not specific to cdparanoia.  *many* people
have noticed that heavy IDE or ISA DMA activity (eg, sound playback) can bring
the serial ports of a machine to a complete standstill.  The proffered reason
was always 'resource contention'; that something was spamming the kernel with
interrupts so hard that the serial port never got a chance to be serviced.

I've noticed the same problem on my own notebook in the past playing mp3s and
using PPP; I've not hoever noticed the problem recently (which is not to say
it's certainly gone away ;-)

Monty