[paranoia] CD-R ripping

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Sun Jan 16 22:53:00 PST 2000

> It seems when I use cdparanoia III 9.7 to rip audio from burned CDs, it
> rips the tracks fine, except the last 5 seconds or so of the
> track...which takes much longer to rip than the rest of the track.

That just may be something stupid I did with comparing zeroes.

> cdparanoia seems to stall at the end of each track, but eventually
> finishes.  When I encode the WAV to mp3, the sound is perfect, except
> there is always a "blip" of static in the last five seconds.

This can happen if you have an encoder that sticks an ID3 tag on the end of the
mp3 file.  Many popular players don't know about ID3 and play it as a blip of
static.  It doesn;t appear to be the case here though, because you say...

> This is
> when most songs fade out into silence, at the end.  I know this is only
> a very minor annoyance, but does anyone know why this happens for burned
> CD-Rs and not pressed audio CDs?

Yes.  TAO (track-at-once) CDs have seven sectors of garbage seperating every
track.  Thi si inherent in TAO.  Some players realize it's garbage and just
skip past, most play it as a crackle.  To avoid this on home-burns, use DAO
(disk-at-once) mode.  Not all cdburners/software support this though.

Monty