[paranoia] Porting: Was, Re: freebsd port

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Sun Jan 16 21:55:54 PST 2000

Although this is a response to a specific person, it's intended for several
people.  Replace 'FreeBSD' with your own fave rave OS below.

> I would really like to see a freebsd port.  all the cdripping programs either
> suck or don't work in ripping scripts.  this is my ultimate goal. i would like
> to get a full featured script to rip and encode full cd's.  porting of
> cdparanoia is a big step in that direction for freebsd

Yup, it needs to happen.  I'd started Paranoia IV for the express purpose of
making porting trivial, then got bogged down in myriad other matters, the
biggest one currently being OggVorbis.  Paranoia IV is still happening but
won't be out anytime soon.

In the past I'd gently discouraged people from porting pIII (mainly because the
abstraction layers were Linux specific, resulting in integrating changes being
a royal pain in the ass.  Any ports would have to stay out of the mainline).
Since getting distracted, a few people have ported paranoia III with my
blessing, so long as they didn't expect me to support it (notable: the BeOS
port).  You all and/or others may decide to do this.  Again, pIV will be out
someday, but some people gotta have it sooner than my own tattered schedule
will allow. It's not fair for me to insist being the bottleneck here.

Those interested in discussing cdparanoia III ports, feel free to do so on the
paranoia-dev at xiph.org mailing list.  The mailing list instructions are on the
paranoia links and resources webpage at http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/links.html

And, Hell, talking about paranoia IV would be fun too.  If people would rather
pursue that (with or without me :-), I'll get that source in CVS along with a
general explanation of where it's pitifully incomplete skeleton should be
heading... I have a very good design, spent a year on it, just not enough code
to yet make it run.

Monty