[paranoia] Lots of '-' on first track

Fredrik Mellström traal at myrmicat.hemmet.chalmers.se
Sun Feb 20 11:42:08 PST 2000

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Fredrik Mellström wrote:

> I'm using cdparanoia 9.7 on Linux 2.2.14 (with the latest i2c
> patch, for my bttv card), Redhat 6.1 distro, an Adaptec 2940 PCI
> SCSI card, (external) Plextor CDRW 8/2/20 (firmware 1.02), and the
> 'puter is an intel PII266 with 64MB RAM.

Hmm.  I thought you might be interested to know that I recently
upgraded my Plextor CD rewriter to firmware 1.03, and the
phenomenon went away, and I generally seem to get far fewer random
errors (this is just a feeling I have, no proof or statistics).
Unfortunately, ripping with cdparanoia also takes roughly twice as
long, which was not what I desired ;-).  Obviously they've done
something, 'cause here's what Plextor's changelog for my firmware
says:

    PX - W8220T V1.03

    Fixed Bugs:

          Correction for reading of ISRC codes
          Correction for SAO, writing the Lead-Out
          Write error after Quick Erase

    Improvements:

          Extraction quality for Read CD-DA (DAE)

The complete document can be found at
http://www.plextor.be/english/technical/firmware.htm

//traal

--
A viola's range? 10 meters if kicked hard enough.