[paranoia] "+" and bad rips with Philips 3610

Nils Chr. Framstad ncf at math.uio.no
Mon Dec 11 05:26:50 PST 2000

OK, I am new to the list but I didn't find anything concerning this
when (loosely) browsing the Archive:

I have a Samsung SC-140 CD-ROM and a Kiss CD-RW which apparently is a
Philips 3610 (both are IDE, in case I might have confused the number
3600 with 3610.) And I have a whole lot of worn CDs bought 2nd hand :)

Well, to get to the point: Especially the Kiss/Philips machine appears
to read quite bad, and diff-ing files from multiple reads all too
often leads to differences, even if I only get "+" or "!". On a
particulary nasty CD ("Coda" in the Led Zeppelin: The Complete Studio
Recordings box), I experienced this problem with _every_ track,
including the half-second track 00 and others which had no or at most
a very few "+"'s.

It is natural to blame the Philips, as results were a lot better with
the Samsung -- but even with that one I got different files without
any "V". One of the tracks I gave up after some ~10 attempts.

On another CD -- doubtful, I shall admit -- the players responded very
differently: When arriving at the troublesome spot, the Samsung
responded as above mentioned, giving different .wav files at each
attempt (even when not reporting a "V" -- but it also gave lots of
Unknown transport errors. Average ripping speed on the track was
around 0.05x. The Kiss/Philips, otoh, spent all night re-reading those
particular seconds until I killed the job. While this CD was a burned
demo, I was able to verify from the studio that it was written in the
red book format (i.e. no non-standard codes added to make ripping
difficult.)

Both CDs were ripped effordlessly by a Plextor PX-W124TS on another
computer.

(Of course I should have written down what cdparanoia version I use,
but it is the 9.x version which came with Mandrake 7.2 with the IDE
machines, and 9.2 with the Plextor.)

I am a bit puzzeled that I get different files without any worse
warnings than "+". Should I blame the software or the hardware? :-/

Cheers,
nc

 mailto:ncf at math.uio.no
                               <URL:http://www.thehungersite.com>