[paranoia] sample offset?

Matt McClure mlm at aya.yale.edu
Sat Dec 9 12:32:44 PST 2000

On Sat Dec 09 2000, 14:25, "Neil Berkman" <neil at echo.com> wrote:

> I was looking through the paranoia mailing list archive to see if
> there was any discussion of read offsets and I found your post.  I was
> wondering if you got any further with this.  Also, I found an older
> post with a patch for 9.6.  In case you didn't see it, it's here:
>
> http://www.xiph.org/archives/paranoia/0159.html
>
> Any more information you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Unfortunately, I haven't had time to look into it much more.  But I am
definitely still interested in finding a solution that will allow me to
rip 100% bit-accurate copies of CDs.

It looks like the link you have above is for _sector_ offsets.
Cdparanoia already allows you to specify a sector offset.  From the man
page for alpha9.6:

       The span argument may be  a  simple  track  number  or  an
       offset/span  specification.   The syntax of an offset/span
       takes the rough form:

       1[ww:xx:yy.zz]-2[aa:bb:cc.dd]

       Here, 1 and 2 are track numbers; the numbers  in  brackets
       provide  a finer grained offset within a particular track.
       [aa:bb:cc.dd] is in hours/minutes/seconds/sectors  format.
       Zero  fields  need  not be specified: [::20], [:20], [20],
       [20.], etc, would be interpreted as twenty seconds,  [10:]
       would  be  ten  minutes, [.30] would be thirty sectors (75
       sectors per second).

Unfortunately, there is no way to specify a _sample_ offset -- a sample
is 4 bytes.  The patch I posted _tries_ to address this, but it does not
work for the final track on a disc.

If you do happen to track down a solution, please let me know.  If I can
find some free time, I'll take a look at the source again too.

--
Matt
http://www.faradic.net/~mmcclure/