[paranoia] Newbie User - Can't read CD

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Sep 15 00:10:23 PDT 1999

> I had *no* idea that this was so complicated!

You'd run screaming if I started going into detail ;-)

> I am using audiograbber to rip in windows.  It has 3 options for ripping,
> ASPI, mscdex and analog.   MSCDEX fails, analog works fine (I guess that is
> resampling through the soundcard....)

Ah ha!  Yes, indeed.  It is not reading the disc as data.

> and using the "detect" button on the
> ASPI screen it selected "unbuffered burst copy" with default speed.....when
> I begin to rip, it says its reading at 0.05X!   its gone for quite a while
> without an error, but I don't really have the patience to let it run a very
> long time to see if it will be successful.

I expect it's not actually succeeding.

Drat.  Well, it looks like cdparanoia can't use this drive after all
(cdparanoia does only one thing and tries to do it well.  it does not and will
never do analog resample).  There's a package called 'gramophile' that might
automate the analog sampling process under Linux is you want to do it that way.
However, seeing as how a 40x drive is about $30, I'd recommend spending a
small amount and not sacrificing the sound quality.

Monty