[paranoia] I'm having problems (CD ROM drive not suported?)

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Sep 13 18:08:50 PDT 1999

> I have experienced this situation a lot as well, the extraction of the last
> track taking a long-long time.  I have a machine dedicated to the task
> (P166, 128MB of RAM, Slackware 4.0) so oftentimes I just leave it running
> down in the lab.  Sometimes it runs for longer than a few days extracting a
> single CD.  It always gets a very clean track, no matter what, though, which
> is what I am after.  I will admit I am recovering music from some very
> scratchy originals (I reburn to cdaudio, never do any compression).

Cdparanoia III is actually not well designed for really damaged disks, believe
it or not.  It *is* too paranoid when there's real data loss and doesn't accept
'good enough' data like paranoia II did.  This, along with ports, is the major
feature I want to do in Paranoia IV.  I realize, of course, that I've been
promising Paranoia IV for a little over a year now.

> I am really looking forward to Paranoia IV, as I am slowly migrating away
> from Linux to NetBSD (i386) and CDParanoia is one of the few Linux-only
> programs I use a lot that I can't bring over to BSD.  I'm interested in
> building and testing IV whenever it becomes available.

You'll hear about it.  NetBSD/FreeBSD is a big deal.

> I haven't worked with the source very much yet.  I am wondering if there are
> optimizations and error-tolerance levels I can tweak with in there.  I get
> such perfect tracks out of it now that I'm wondering if I'm running it "too"
> paranoid, but the command line switches don't provide that much
> tweakability.

Paranoia II could do wonders with scratched CDs, but was *very* finicky about
specific hardware.  Give it a try, the worst it could do is not work (the old
pII is still on my download page; follow the link to the download directory).

If pII turns out not to work, there are a few tweaks that one can make...

Monty