[paranoia] Newbie User - Can't read CD

Gary Huntress huntres at ibm.net
Mon Sep 13 16:49:41 PDT 1999

Okay :)    here is what I logged when using IDE

[root at localhost cdparanoia-III-alpha9.6]# /usr/local/bin/cdparanoia  -v -B
"1-"
cdparanoia III release 9.6 (August 17, 1999)
(C) 1999 Monty <monty at xiph.org> and Xiphophorus

Report bugs to paranoia at xiph.org
http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/

Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
        Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
                CDROM sensed: ATAPI compatible Generic Unidentifiable CDROM

Verifying drive can read CDDA...
hdc: packet command error: status=0x51
hdc: packet command error: error=0x54
hdc: code: 0x70  key: 0x05  asc: 0x30  ascq: 0x02
hdc: packet command error: status=0x51
hdc: packet command error: error=0x54
hdc: code: 0x70  key: 0x05  asc: 0x30  ascq: 0x02

When I removed all ATAPI support from the kernel and included scsi and
general scsi support (using drive /dev/scd0 linked to /dev/cdrom) I got
something like:

006 cannot read from device

Thanks!

Gary