[paranoia] CD-ROM slow to rip but no errors

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu Oct 21 15:22:44 PDT 1999

> > CD-56E?  That sounds like a Teac model number...
>
> Yes, it is.  My bad.  Sorry.

OK, I have a 48E here which I'll assume for the moment is similar.

> There are no log entries related to the CD-ROM or ATAPI at all, aside from the boot
> messages shown above.

I'm referring to the system logs, /var/log/message and /var/log/syslog
(depending on exact distribution).

I have another question (realizing I may have misinterpreted an earlier
answer): You said there are 'no errors' during extraction; did you mean no
system errors, or did you mean 'no symbols in the progress bar'.  I had ssumed
the latter; if I was wrong and the progress bar is full of correction symbols,
that could be where time is going (The 48E requires serious error correction,
but not to the extent that it gets knocked down to .3x).

> I have tried to enable SCSI hostadapter emulation, but I am getting scsi: 0 hosts.
> I have the following config options set.  Am I missing something?  Should I build
> SCSI as modules?

You have the emulation set up properly, but likely forgot to turn off the
ATAPI driver, which will take precedence over the SCSI emulation.  Disable
ATAPI CDROM support and you should be set.

(Note that recompiling the kernel isn't strictly necessary, but the
configuration to use both ATAPI and SCSI hostadapter emulation silmultaneously
and choose at boot time is different under 2.0 and 2.2 and requires some
explanation.  If you're interested, let me know).

Monty