[paranoia] CD-ROM slow to rip but no errors

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Oct 20 19:33:06 PDT 1999

> I am trying to rip CDs and it is VERY slow (0.3x), and my CPU is pegged
> at 100%.

Is the CPU also pegged running cdparanoia with -Z?  Also, how do you know the
CPU is pegged?  If you're going by 'system load' this is not reporting CPU
usage; it's reporting 'processes running/waiting', which could easily mean that
the machine is waiting a *loong* time for the drive due to hardware trouble.

(You can use something like procmeter or MGM to see the real CPU usage).

>  A FAQ entry said I should upgrade to the latest release, but
> as far as I know this is the latest release.  Do I need to get
> cdparanoia IV or is something else going on?  How can I fix this
> problem?

> I have a Matsushita/Panasonic ATAPI CD-ROM drive CD-56E.  It's
> identified by the kernel as:

CD-56E?  That sounds like a Teac model number...

> hdb: CD-56E, ATAPI CDROM drive
> hdb: ATAPI 6x CD-ROM drive, 128kB cache

Do you have any entries related to ATAPI or the cdrom in your system logs?  You
*should*... the behavior is abnormal.

If not, run cdparanoia with SCSI hostadapter emulation.  When run with the
ATAPI interface, cdparanoia cannot talk directly to the drive.  The kernel
provides the command set and error handling (and does a poor job of it).  With
SCSI emulation, cdparanoia talks raw packet commands to the drive and gets back
results without kernel interpretation.

Monty