[paranoia] HP8110i strange behavior

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Oct 13 02:32:47 PDT 1999

> The HP drive ususally extracts without any correction whatsoever by
> cdparanoia. But suddenly it'll do something like:
>
> (== PROGRESS == [                         +-V  | 029185 00 ] == :^D * ==)
>
> where out of the blue I get a glitch in the wav file.

Is this always in the same spot?  I assume that upon repeating the run, the
problem disappears?

> I also have a
> run-of-the-mill TEAC Model CD-524E cd-rom drive. On the same file, it
> has lots of correction, but no fatal ones:
>
> (== PROGRESS == [--+-+-+---+-+--+++++++-+-+-++-| 029185 00 ] == :^D * ==)

> The HP will repeat the V if tried again on the same file.  Anyone know
> what to make of this? The HP performs flawlessly as a burner, this is
> the only anomaly I've seen with it.

Oh, that answers one question.  In the case of truly damaged media, every
drive behaves differently... cdparanoia does not yet deal gracefully with
quite a few.

> Also, the HP will often have an isolated +, -, or V occur right at the
> edge of a track boundary with spaces everywhere else.

*This* is a known cdparanoia bug.  The error is spurious.

> One other question... recently once in a while I'll get a ! or !!.
> However this happens very rarely. The man pages and help file are
> ambiguous about whether this definitively indicates an error (well I
> think so anyway!) Should I be concerned?

A definitive explanation on '!':

Cdparanoia verified the same section of data twice and got two apparently
perfect segments, but when compared to each other, one is different from the
other, and that was the first indication that cdparanoia had of trouble.

At that point, it makes an educated guess.

Monty