[paranoia] snap crackle pop

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Fri Oct 1 14:28:35 PDT 1999

Forgive the delay...

> > What are the symbols in the status bar?  ' -+' are usually harmless, '!'
> > indicates a problem that may have gotten through, 'V' indicates an almost
> > certainly audible defect.
> If I'm looking at the right thing, it says !.

Ah.

> Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
>         Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
>                 CDROM sensed: ATAPI compatible NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:282

Drat.  I hate to say ths but the NEC 282 is just one of those drives that so
barely manages to do DAE at all that I'll probably never be able to get it to
work well (I have a 464, a cousin of the 282, and I have to power cycle it to
get it start behaving after '!'s start popping up). If you took a look at the
raw reads coming back in a waveform editor, you'd be amazed that cdparanoia
could make any progress whatsoever.

One thing that the drive *will* benefit from is being kept as cool as possible.
 Keep it somewhere in the case with lots of airflow (eg, not sanwiched between
the case top and a floppy and *definately* not next to a hard drive).  My 464
behaves longer when kept cool.

Monty