[paranoia] Re: ide-scsi setup?

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Nov 15 13:01:20 PST 1999

> > However, I can't seem to access the cdrom.  Which device should I use?
> > Apparently it's not any of /dev/hdb (the device I use for ide access with
> > the stock kernel), /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sga or /dev/sgb.  None of
> > those devices worked for either data or audio access.  Obviously I'm
> > missing something.  How do I set up the scsi emulation and which device do
> > I use to access the cdrom?  Do I need "SCSI CD-ROM support" or just
> > "SCSI-generic support" in the kernel configuration?  Do I need any of the
> > SCSI low-level drivers in the kernel configuration?

Actually, you only need generic scsi support.  You didn't actually tell us what
cdparanoia returned (Any of several things could result in it 'not working'),
so I'll make a few guesses.

(Note that adding SCSI cdrom support is not necessary, but it does make it
seasier for cdparanoia to find the drive).

The most likely problem is that you have /dev/cdrom pointing to some device
that doesn't actually exist (eg, pointing to /dev/hdb when your drive is set up
as SCSI).  Second most likely is that the device is set up, but without
permissions allowing access.  Next most likely is that the kernel config is not
right.  What devices appear is /proc/scsi/scsi?  If the cdrom drive isn't
there, the system is misconfigured.

Monty