[paranoia] a bug(?) report

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Nov 15 08:50:01 PST 1999

> In my first attempt to "rip" a cdrom by the "cdparanoia" program, the
> program went into a spin in ripping the 13:th track of 20 with the
> error message:
>
> hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 {DriveReady SockComplete Error}
> hdc: packet command error: error 0x34
>   ATAPI device hdc:
>   Error: Medium error --(sense key=0x03)
>   (reserved error code) -- (asc=0x11, ascq=0x5)
>   The failed "<NULL>" packet was:
>   "be 04 00 03 39 3a 00 00 08 f8 00 00"

Actually the ATAPI driver in the *kernel* got itself into a spin.  The kernel
driver has virtually no error handling capability beyond 'keep trying the same
damned thing until there is not error'.  You'll have to use SCSI hostadapter
emulation so that cdparanoia gets the error directly and can decide what to do.

(With emulation, cdparanoia will retry a few times, then give up and continue)

Monty