[paranoia] [Bug report] not possible to use cdparanoia with grip

Phil Humpherys phumpherys at tumax.com
Thu Nov 11 09:47:01 PST 1999

>From the README in the source distribution:

To build with cdparanoia:

 o if you downloaded the grip source distribution *with* cdparanoia
    included, you are set. if not:

     o get the cdparanoia source distribution
     o unpack it somewhere
     o make a symbolic link "cdparanoia" in the grip source
     directory that
     points to it (ie: ln -s
     /usr/src/cdparanoia-III-alpha9.5 cdparanoia)

     o cd to the cdparanoia directory
     o configure it ("./configure")
     o do "make lib"
     o cd back up to the grip directory
     o type "make" and then "make install"

On Thu, Nov 11, 1999 at 05:09:55PM +0100
MARNE Bertrand(bmarne at free.fr) wrote:
+--------------------

> Hello,

> I'm a linux user (Mandrake 6.1) and i have problems using cdparanoia with grip
> (a graphic front-end for cdparanoia, cdda2wav, bladeenc, lame... for ripping
> and Mp3 encoding Audio CD).

> I was using cdparanoia in a personnal bashscript for ripping my Audio CD for
> month when i discovered a graphic frontend for that job named grip
> (http://www.nostatic.org/grip).

> I never had problems with cdparanoia (GREAT softawre indeed) before using
> grip... When i tried grip, cdparanoia never worked fine !
> I joined the logs of my tests with this mail:
> -On one hand, with my own bashscript (i also joined my *very basical* script)
> -On the other hand, with grip, using cdparanoia (i have the same results using
> internal cdparanoia of grip)... I tried several versions of grip (2.5 to 2.7
> with the same results).

> As my script was working fine, and grip was not, i tried to know what difference
> there was in cdparanoia commandlines... There is one in particular i remarqued:
> -In my script i execute "cdparanoia" (/usr/bin/ is not necessary as it is in the
> PATH)
> -In grip "/usr/bin/cdparanoia" is executed...

> So i tried to modify my script replacing  "cdparanoia" with
> "/usr/bin/cdparanoia"....
> Then, my script failed and i had the same errors i had with grip... So it
> seems that cdparanoia work correctly when his binary-path is NOT given !

> I looked if there was several "cdparanoia" exectuable binary files (or links) on
> my box, and i only find one, in /usr/bin...
> I also tried several versions of cdparanoia (IIIa 6.5 to IIIa 6.9) without any
> good results....

> Do you know why i need to launch cdparanoia WITHOUT his path (that is
> unfortunately not possible in grip) to have acccess to CDDA command set of my
> CD driver (PHILIPS CDD 2600 SCSI) and to perform a ripping sequence ?

> Best regards,

> MARNE Bertrand

> PS: please forgive my -VERY- poor english speaking !

 /__)/ '/  )__/  _    / _ _    _ Phil Humpherys <phumpherys at tumax.com>
/   /)/(  /  /(///)/)/)(-/ (/_)  Unix Systems Administrator
                  /        /     Mobile:  +1.801.725.3257