[paranoia] Not A Bug

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Sat Nov 6 17:26:11 PST 1999

> Hello,
>
> Would it be possible to add (or is there already a way) to specify
> negative offsets in the spanning syntax?

Not at the moment, sorry.

>  The issue is this:  alot of the
> time when ripping individual tracks from a CD, cdparanoia seems to miss
> the opening fractions of a song.

I will hazard a guess that you have a Toshiba drive?

> When playing the CD with a cd player,
> the song index seems to be correct, i.e., when I go to song 4, it starts
> without missing those opening fractions.

Yes, some Toshibas, due to an ambiguity in the original SCSI cdrom spec, will
report the TOC as is (complete with initial starting offset), but then address
the disc as if that starting offset (eg, 32 or 33) is sector zero.  This
behavior is rare and only a few Toshiba lines do it.  I'm yet to find a way to
sense this behavior automagically.

> Is this resonable to do?  An example CD would be the soundtrack to "The
> Crow", where the NIN "Dead Souls" song #4 has this exact problem, at least
> on my "TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-6202BD".

Yep, a Toshiba. Any disc with a nonzero index for Track 1, index 1 will have
this problem.  I don't have a solution yet, I hope to in the future.

(BTW, a longer discussion of the problem is on the FAQ or Troubleshooting page,
not sure which).

Monty