[paranoia] cdparanoia: misleading error message

Andreas Mohr a.mohr at mailto.de
Mon Dec 20 11:04:37 PST 1999

Hello,

I just want to tell you that cdparanoia III 9.7 aborted on me
with the message:

----
Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
        Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
                /dev/sr0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
        Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
                No generic SCSI device found to match CDROM device /dev/sr0
----

The only problem with that was that the permissions for /dev/sg0 were wrong.
Could you please make that error message handle the "no permissions" problem ?

BTW, just before I got to that misleading message it aborted with:

----
Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
        Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
                /dev/sr0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
        Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
                Could not access device /dev/sr0: Permission denied
----

*That* one was ok as I was pointed at the thing to fix...
(chmod 666 /dev/sr0 of course)

Thank you ! :)

And many thanks for this wonderful program !!
It ripped on my Pioneer DR-U24X without any problem.

--
Andreas Mohr		Tel.: +49 7159 800604 private (preferred)
Stauferstr. 6			       927883 main line (family)