[paranoia] Problems with PPPD?

Simon Quinn simon.quinn at bigfoot.com
Tue Aug 31 15:37:02 PDT 1999

Sorry, the DVD drive I extract off is an IDE drive. I used to (a year
ago) extract from the SCSI CD writer and the same problem used to
occurred, although trying this now with the v2.2.12 kernel it doesn't
appear to be happening with the SCSI device.

Noticed that the problem with the IDE drive also occurs in cdda2wav but
if I set the speed to 1 then the problem almost goes away, i.e. data is
transferred over pppd but doesn't go at full speed. I switched off DMA
but it didn't improve anything.

I use the DVD drive as the extraction sound quality is better than the
CD Writer.

OK here's some more info:

RedHat v6.0, kernel v2.2.12 compiled for i686
ABit BH6 v1.0, Intel Celeron 450Mhz, 256Mbytes RAM, AHA2940 SCSI,
Soundblaster 16, two IDE hardrives on 1st controller, IDE DVD on 2nd
controller, SCSI Philips 2600 CDWriter, External modem on standard COM
port /dev/ttyS1

Dump of /proc/interrupt:
  0:     177231          XT-PIC  timer
  1:       5067          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  3:     221445          XT-PIC  serial
  5:         49          XT-PIC  eth0
  7:        449          XT-PIC  soundblaster
  8:          2          XT-PIC  rtc
 10:       6789          XT-PIC  usb
 12:        190          XT-PIC  aic7xxx
 13:          1          XT-PIC  fpu