[paranoia] Problems with PPPD?

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue Aug 31 13:44:30 PDT 1999

> Simon Quinn wrote:
>
> > When cdparanoia is extracting from my SCSI cdrom drive it usually causes
> > PPPD to stop transferring data across the modem. It doesn't crash PPPD
> > as when I stop cdparanoia PPPD starts transferring data again. It may be
> > causing problems with the serial port and not necessarily PPPD itself.

Neat, resource starvation is usually an IDE issue...

Some of the time, this is due to a hardware conflict.  The machine still
manages
to run, but not well.

More often it's a simple case of starvation; device B is hogging so much of
resource 'foo' that device A never gets to touch it.  Perhaps DMA in this case?
I usually see this when a modem/PPPD and sound card are fighting over the ISA
bus (yes, happens on my box, although it got better in 2.2).

So... More hardware details and kernel version please?

Monty