[paranoia] Ripping speed

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu Aug 19 19:59:16 PDT 1999

> The next logical step would be to dynamically react to skips by speeding down
> the drive if reading audio data runs into trouble.

This has been a planned feature for more than a year, and the hooks are already
in pIV.  The problem is getting the feature to work well on *all* drives, not
just yours :-)  This is where, for example, paranoia II had so much trouble.
Some drives are 'in trouble' all the time regardless of what speed.  Slowing
them down doesn't make them work any better... it just makes the read slower.

> read-cd command which, when using a plextor drive, has this feature. This
> mode should be cannibalized for cdparanoia anyway because it can detect and
> try to repair checksum errors.

The same feature should be implemented... but I likely could not do it the way
Plextor does.  Plextors are very well behaved drives; what works for a Plextor
would not work for a Lite-On, Acer, NEC, BTC or any of the other 90% of the
drives out there that are awful at DAE.

But yes, I've planned the 'slowdown when in trouble' and real
honest-to-goodness repair code for a long time.

Monty