[paranoia-dev] Trouble whith a VERY hard-to-read CD causes kernel errors

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Thu Sep 5 08:25:50 PDT 2002

On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, Karsten Behrmann wrote:

> hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hdc: packet command error: error=0x51
> ATAPI device hdc:
> Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
> Illegal mode for this track or incompatible medium -- (asc=0x64, ascq=0x00)
> The failed "Read CD" packet command was:
> "be 04 00 01 da 5d 00 00 08 f8 00 00 "
>
> This is right in the middle of the CD, and cdparanoia (with -z) displays
> unreported loss of streaming and stays at some single sectors for about half
> an hour.
> I am using cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001) on a SuSE 8.0 system
> whith kernel  2.4.18-4GB and using an ATAPI CD-drive.

The basic starting point for cases like this is to use ide-scsi instead
of ide-cd .  The SCSI interface gives cdparanoia a much more verbose
interface to work with.

In fact, really you should be using SCSI emulation for any use of
cdparanoia.  It's just better.

I don't know if it'll actually help in this case, but it might.

--
        Peter

"All I want is a warm bed and a kind word and unlimited power."
		-- Ashleigh Brilliant