[paranoia-dev] Trouble whith a VERY hard-to-read CD causes kernel errors

Karsten Behrmann karstenbeh at web.de
Sun Sep 1 09:38:14 PDT 2002

Hi guys!
Sorry to bother you if this is worthless, but I'd like to report that my
kernel spits out lots (about every one or two minutes) of packet command
errors at the (3-hour) read of a quite damaged cd. A sample:

hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: packet command error: error=0x51
ATAPI device hdc:
Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
Illegal mode for this track or incompatible medium -- (asc=0x64, ascq=0x00)
The failed "Read CD" packet command was:
"be 04 00 01 da 5d 00 00 08 f8 00 00 "

This is right in the middle of the CD, and cdparanoia (with -z) displays
unreported loss of streaming and stays at some single sectors for about half
an hour.
I am using cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001) on a SuSE 8.0 system
whith kernel  2.4.18-4GB and using an ATAPI CD-drive.