[paranoia-dev] Issue with Peter Gabriel's "Up"

James D Thomas jthomas at kodos.fastmail.fm
Wed Nov 20 00:31:52 PST 2002

This isn't really a bug report, but I figure you might find this
interesting.

I tried to rip Peter Gabriel's Up using cdparanoia (via grip), and it
didn't work -- it just skipped right through the tracks in order without
reading any info, as if the tracks were 0 seconds long. I switched to
cdda2wav and it ripped fine. To date, I've probably ripped 100+ discs
with cdparanoia without a problem.

In addition, when I initially put the cd into a desktop cd-rom, it
couldn't read it at all, and somehow fucked up my cd-rom so that it
couldn't read any audio cds until I went through about 5 power cycles.

I figure it might be copy-protection, or a weird by-product of the media
enhancement on the cd, but I don't really know.

Omnibook 6000
Vanilla Redhat 8.0
Kernel 2.4.18-18.8.0
cdparanoia 9.8
CD-ROM drive: "Matshita DVD-ROM SR-8175" running under scsi-emulation

--james

ps. Keep up the good work.

--
  James D Thomas