[paranoia-dev] noise in extracted tracks

Ian Pilcher pilchman at attbi.com
Thu Aug 29 11:23:00 PDT 2002

Anthony wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I downloaded cdparanoia 9.8 today, and installed it on my Red Hat Linux 7.3
> system (Pentium III 1.13GHz, 640MB ram, TDK cdrom that does DAE at
> ~40x).  When I run it (with only the -B option), the extracted tracks have
> lots of noise, and the progress bargraph is full of !s and Vs.
>
> When I put the same drive in my WinXP machine and run Exact Audio Copy, the
> extracted tracks are fine, and no errors are reported.

I have no idea if this will help or not, but the man page talks about a
'-S' switch that lets you set the speed of the drive.  You might try
playing with this.  40X is awfully fast, and I know that EAC slows down
the drive when it encounters an error.

P.S.  Be happy.  At least cdparanoia is actually reporting errors on
      your system.  On mine it doesn't report any errors, but I get
      tracks that sound like a Rice Krispies commercial.