[opus] Opus on really small micros?

Opuscodec at stevefenwick.com Opuscodec at stevefenwick.com
Thu Mar 4 08:03:27 UTC 2021

I'm working with a non-profit that needs to store and playback a large
number of audio samples of speech on a very small battery-powered
device. Don't sweat all of that except the need for a very
space-efficient, low-compute CODEC. We're looking at tradeoffs between
processor complexity and FLASH capacity. Cost is extremely important.

Our audio data set is about 145 minutes of mono voice, low-passed at
8kHz in Audacity before encoding. We'd like to hold to 10 to 12 bits of
resolution to match the DAC we're using. We only need decode on the
device, not encode.

The 8kbps and 12kbps encoding and decoding tests I've done using the
downloadable executables seem to produce good quality.

The hard part is, for that kind of decode using Opus, how much processor
do we need? It would help an awful lot if we could get by with an M0+
for cost reasons; lots of inexpensive ones with built-on DACs out there.

Has anyone tried to get something like this to work on an M0+ processor,
or otherwise looked at the performance requirements for NB-only low-bit
rate voice only decode using only fixed-point?

Thanks!

Steve