[opus] Multithreaded encoding?

Ralph Giles giles at thaumas.net
Mon Mar 30 21:17:17 UTC 2020

I'm not aware of any other attempts, and there have never been official
plans. It's difficult to partition input for opus at anything other than
the track level, because of the way the decoder derives its adaptive
state from recently-seen audio. I guess cutting together streams with at
least an 80ms overlap wouldn't glitch too much?

You could probably do something to try different encoding options for
each block in parallel to use more cores, but it might be hard to get
good scaling.

Most people just encode multiple streams simultaneously if they want
better throughput.

FWIW,
 -r