[opus] Opus Requirement for embedded Application

tarek.maamar at sofia-technologies.com tarek.maamar at sofia-technologies.com
Wed Apr 24 16:50:55 UTC 2019

Hello everyone,

I tried integrating opus middleware on an STM32L4 microcontroller based
project. First thing I noticed is the considerable amount of memory
allocated by the opus_encoder_create function (nearly 40 kbytes if I
recall). After modifying my project's memory setting (mainly heap size
adjustments), I could bypass some aspects of this problems. What I'm
noticing now is the time needed for the encode function to treat a 20 ms
frame (nearly 50 ms for a complexity of 0 which I guess is the lowest
possible). So here are my questions :
1) what is the minimal encoder configuration possible for a minimal memory
footprint ?
2) Considering that I'm using framing to dissociate a large buffer into
small frames before passing them to the encode function. Is there a way to
minimize encoding time ?

3) Is there a demo code for compressing PCM/WAV ?

Thanks in Advance.

Tarak Maamar