[opus] Antw: Re: Antw: Re: Antw: Re: Possible bug in Opus 1.3

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Tue Nov 6 06:48:07 UTC 2018

<20181105170002.GA72174 at www.stare.cz>:
> appears in the audible spectrum? While significantly larger, Opus had
> produced significant ghost noise (much less than Vorbis did)...
>
> I experience the "same" low level noise even in a wav file,
> even on frequencies a bit higher, when playing on shitty enough speakers.
> I don't think it is a relict of the compression (it cannot be, here).
>
> Every speaker (or headphones) is designed for a certain frequency range.
> Outside of that range, all bets are off. I wouldn't bother with what you
> "hear" outside of the audible spectrum.
>
> My current bet is that the very low frequencies are correctly
> represented in the Opus file, but your speaker/headphones
> are not capable to play them properly (which is no wonder).

Hi!

I actually doubt it: I have a sound system with a sub-woover, and I can see the subwoover move before I can hear anything; looks kind of funny... Similar for my headphones: It's not the cheap dirt they sell you everywhere (but also it is not high-end). Still, I'm trying to investigate.

Regards,
Ulrich