[opus] Antw: Re: Antw: Re: Possible bug in Opus 1.3

Jan Stary hans at stare.cz
Mon Nov 5 10:28:32 UTC 2018

On Nov 05 11:16:54, Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de wrote:

> >> The frequency component at any time should be more or less exactly one
> >> (THE frequency).
> >
> > Exactly. So what frequencies above 48kHz are there
> > to be sampled at 96kHz?
>
> None. Do we want to discuss the Nyquist theorem?

I meant what frequencise _in_your_signal_.
Your signal does not contain anything above
20kHz, so why use a 96kHz sample rate?

> (AFAIR it's for pure sinus

No.

> waves and is says "at least").

> >> If you plot a 44.1kHz sine wave
> >
> > But you stop at 20kHz.
>
> OK, Nyquist again. Maybe really look how the waveform looks like. Or are you
> saying Opus really ignores any extra samples at that frequencies?

At what frequencies?

> >> at 16kHz or higher,
> >
> > The sample bit width has nothing to do with it.
>
> ? 16kHz is a frequency, not a bit resolution.

Ah, sorry, I mis-read.

Anyway: a sample rate of 44.1kHz is enough to completely capture a signal
which does not contain frequencies above 22 kHz. Like your signal doesn't.

> >> it does not look much like a sine wave any more.
> >> So my expectation was that applying DCT on that could add
> >> some "ghost frequencies" that did not exist in the original.
> >
> > It would be quite sad if the processing used during compression
> > added frequencies ABOVE the orginal, forcing the user to upsample.
>
> Yes, but I'm afraid that's how it works.

I very much doubt that, but someone more knowledgeable about
the actual Opus compression would have to step in here.

	Jan