[opus] opus 1.2.1 regression with --enable-float-approx and --0fast

Stepan Salenikovich stepan.salenikovich at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 00:15:38 UTC 2018

Hi,
I work on a webRTC application and recently tried updating from opus 1.1.5
to 1.2.1

Afterwards I noticed occasionally weird audio glitches. I finally tracked
down the issue to the opus decoder in my application outputting samples
with the value of -32768.

This behaviour stopped when reverting to opus 1.1.5 or compiling opus 1.2.1
without configuring --enable-float-aprox and --0fast.

The setup is a microphone as audio input into chrome v64 which then sends
opus encoded audio to my application and my application decoding this audio
stream.

I could induce the glitches by breathing/blowing really loudly into the
microphone. I noticed that occasionally this would result in the opus
decoder in my application to keep outputting a stream of -32768 (even if I
stopped) until I talked normally for a bit.

Is it possible that a regression was introduced between 1.1.5 and 1.2.1
when configuring with --enable-float-approx and compiling with --0fast?

Thanks,
-stepan