[opus] Stereo dropping to mono with libopus 1.2 RC

Jean-Marc Valin jmvalin at jmvalin.ca
Tue Jun 20 06:38:41 UTC 2017

On 19/06/17 12:05 PM, Matěj Steklík wrote:
> so it would be great if the final libopus 1.2 had officialy a
> parameter to force music "mode" of encoding.

Support is already there in libopus 1.2 (and has been since 1.0), so
it's just a matter of adding the option to opusenc. That's on the TODO list.

> I'd like to ask two
> additional questions: 1) is the --set-ctl 4024=3002 parameter a present
> alternative to that planned "force music encoding" option or is it an
> other workaround?;

the --set-ctl is more of a hack, which is why the plain is to have a
real option.

> 2) if I wanted to set opusenc to not use SILK at all,
> is there a minimal bitrate which I have to set (such as 48 or 64 kb/s)
> or is it that when during VBR encoding the actual bitrate at one point
> drops below some value, the SILK or hybrid mode is used even if the
> target file bitrate is in CELT territory (48 kb/s+)? Thanks for answer.

There's a bitrate above which SILK will never be used, but it depends on
many things, including the frame size, complexity setting, and the
stereo width. I have to say that for stereo music, it's rather rare (but
not totally impossible) that SILK ends up being used above 48 kb/s.