[opus] Stereo dropping to mono with libopus 1.2 RC

Matěj Steklík matej.steklik at post.cz
Mon Jun 19 16:05:57 UTC 2017

Hello Jean-Marc, yes, it works for both 32 and 48 kb/s. Also this option
marginally increases the size of the file which is understandable. I tried a
few other music files and found that this stereo narrowing happens not only
in the case of track I submitted (although in smaller scale) so it would be
great if the final libopus 1.2 had officialy a parameter to force music
"mode" of encoding. I'd like to ask two additional questions: 1) is the --
set-ctl 4024=3002 parameter a present alternative to that planned "force
music encoding" option or is it an other workaround?; 2) if I wanted to set
opusenc to not use SILK at all, is there a minimal bitrate which I have to
set (such as 48 or 64 kb/s) or is it that when during VBR encoding the
actual bitrate at one point drops below some value, the SILK or hybrid mode
is used even if the target file bitrate is in CELT territory (48 kb/s+)?
Thanks for answer.

Best regards, Matěj  ---------- Původní e-mail ----------