[opus] Building opusfile as a shared library

Timothy B. Terriberry tterribe at xiph.org
Wed Jul 26 02:52:03 UTC 2017

Zuzu Typ wrote:
> This is most likely because opusfile is supposed to be built as a
> static-library.

You'll need an export list for all of the functions in
include/opusfile.h. The best way to do this is to create a .def file
listing the function names, which could live in, e.g., win32/VS2015
(patches welcome). Ideally these would be separate for libopusfile and
libopusurl (to allow building the former without the latter).

> I wonder how mozilla manages to build it.

Ralph doesn't use Visual Studio. He uses mingw32 instead. The procedure
is documented in doc/release.txt.

One of the major reasons for this is that compiling OpenSSL with Visual
Studio is difficult and complicated (enough that none of us have tried
to figure out how to do it). If you don't need URL support, you can skip
that. However, you'll still need to depend on libopus and libogg. Those
three libraries are the only non-platform dependencies.