[opus] Patches for adding 120 ms encoding

Felicia Lim flim at google.com
Mon Jun 13 15:21:48 UTC 2016

Hi Mark, Jean-Marc,

Thanks for your comments.

On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 6:34 AM Mark Harris <mark.hsj at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Felicia,
>
> A few comments:
>
> > -       /* CELT can only support up to 20 ms */
> >         subframe_size = st->Fs/50;
> > -       nb_subframes = frame_size > st->Fs/25 ? 3 : 2;
> > +       nb_subframes = frame_size/subframe_size;
>
> This will use six 20ms frames to make a 120ms packet, even for
> SILK-only mode where frames can be up to 60ms.  For SILK, two 60ms
> frames would be a more efficient way to encode a 120ms packet.  Also
> FEC, if enabled, would be 3 times as effective.  Similarly, two 40ms
> SILK frames would be more efficient than four 20ms SILK frames.

That makes sense, I've changed it so that SILK 120/80 ms encode 2x 60 and
2x 40 ms respectively.

> -    /* Can't support higher than wideband for >20 ms frames */
> -    if (frame_size > st->Fs/50 && (st->mode == MODE_CELT_ONLY ||
> st->bandwidth > OPUS_BANDWIDTH_WIDEBAND))
> +    /* Can't support higher than wideband for >20 ms frames,
> CELT-only for >20 ms and SILK-only for >60 ms */
> +    if ((frame_size > st->Fs/50 && (st->mode == MODE_CELT_ONLY ||
> st->bandwidth > OPUS_BANDWIDTH_WIDEBAND)) ||
> +        (frame_size > 3*st->Fs/50 && st->mode == MODE_SILK_ONLY))
>
> At this point in the function st->mode is not yet finalized; it has
> only decided whether to use CELT-only mode.  If st->mode ==
> MODE_CELT_ONLY then it has decided to use CELT-only mode.  Otherwise
> it has decided to use SILK-only or Hybrid mode, and will set st->mode
> to the correct mode (depending on bandwidth) a few lines after the end
> of this if statement.  So unless those lines are moved before this if
> statement, it doesn't make sense to compare st->mode == MODE_SILK_ONLY
> here.
>
> The "&& st->mode == MODE_SILK_ONLY" term is actually not needed at all
> because you will want this if-condition to be true for any size larger
> than 60ms regardless of mode.  Nevertheless you may still want to move
> up the lines that finalize st->mode if you want to use it to determine
> the size of each frame as mentioned above.  That would also allow this
> if-condition to be further simplified.

Thanks for pointing this out. I've moved the bandwidth-dependent
SILK/Hybrid mode decision up and simplified the if-condition as:

if ((frame_size > st->Fs/50 && (st->mode != MODE_SILK_ONLY)) || frame_size
> 3*st->Fs/50)

> > +static opus_int32 encode_subframes_and_repacketize(OpusEncoder *st,
> > +                                const opus_val16 *pcm,
> > +                                int nb_frames,
> > +                                int frame_size,
> > +                                unsigned char *data,
> > +                                opus_int32 out_data_bytes,
> > +                                int to_celt,
> > +                                int lsb_depth,
> > +                                int c1,
> > +                                int c2,
> > +                                int analysis_channels,
> > +                                downmix_func downmix,
> > +                                int float_api)
>
> I understand that this was split out into a separate function
> originally because you wanted to call it twice, but now that you have
> merged the two calls is there still a need for it to be split out into
> a separate function?  If it had a simple and concise interface then it
> may make sense even with one call, but in this case the arguments that
> it requires are numerous and peculiar to the specific implementation
> in the calling function.

I opted to leave this anyway because the logic here seemed significant
enough to stand by itself and it makes the purpose of this code more
explicit in opus_encode_native. I agree though that there are a lot of
input arguments (it could be reduced by 1 by moving the nr_subframes
calculation in here as well). I can also undo this split if this is
preferred?

> > +   bytes_per_frame = IMIN(1276,(out_data_bytes-3)/nb_frames);
>
> The current code uses this formula because with up to 3 frames per
> packet, in the worst case the combined packet will require
> nb_frames*bytes_per_frame + 3 bytes (where bytes_per_frame is the code
> 0 packet length, as it is here).  However the worst case is worse with
> more frames per packet.  A slight change to the formula would make it
> sufficient for any valid number of frames per packet:
>
>     bytes_per_frame = IMIN(1276, out_data_bytes/nb_frames - 1);

This has now been fixed.

>  - Mark
>

> On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 7:35 PM, Jean-Marc Valin <jmvalin at jmvalin.ca>
> wrote:
> > Hi Felicia,
> >
> > I still need to look very carefully, which will take some time. That
> > being said, some comments I can already make:
> > 1) You need to also update the multi-stream API.

Agreed, I had originally planned to wait until the single-stream patch
looked good to split the patches/review into smaller chunks, but I'm also
happy to start on the multi-stream API and share that together with the
single-stream patches?

> 2) You might want to check that CBR works for >60 ms encoding

I have checked that the packet lengths returned by the encoder are constant
with the expected values, based on the requested bitrate.

Thanks,
Felicia