[opus] recommended opus bitrate / opusenc setting for general?

Christoph Anton Mitterer calestyo at scientia.net
Sun Oct 25 18:40:44 PDT 2015

On Sat, 2015-10-24 at 22:16 -0700, Thomas Daede wrote:
> Everything above 96kbps on that table is speculative, as the highest
> multi-participant listening testing done was at 96kbps. Here's the
> results from that test, if you're curious:
>
> http://listening-test.coresv.net/results.htm
>
> As you can see, at that rate Opus ranged from slightly perceptible to
> imperceptible. Also importantly, note how few of the donors were able
> give significant results on most tracks. This makes a 128kbps or
> higher
> test impractical as there would not be enough listeners capable of
> hearing a difference. The HydrogenAudio wiki should probably be
> updated
> accordingly.

So basically, with 100 kB/s or say 128 kB/s one should be more or less
safe and very close to transparency, right?!

Are there any bitrates recommended (e.g. for quality or performance
reasons)? E.g. that one should use 128 kB/s rather than 127 kB/s or is
this anyway moot, since with VBR it's just a target value?

When I increase the encoding complexity to 10, this won't have any
noticeable effect on the decoding complexity, right?

Last but not least, since my purpose would be listening to music, is it
best to set the framesize to its maximum (60ms)?
And will this have any bad side effects, like on gapless playback or
so?

Thanks,
Chris.