[opus] recommended opus bitrate / opusenc setting for general?

Thomas Daede tdaede at mozilla.com
Sat Oct 24 22:16:02 PDT 2015

Everything above 96kbps on that table is speculative, as the highest
multi-participant listening testing done was at 96kbps. Here's the
results from that test, if you're curious:

http://listening-test.coresv.net/results.htm

As you can see, at that rate Opus ranged from slightly perceptible to
imperceptible. Also importantly, note how few of the donors were able to
give significant results on most tracks. This makes a 128kbps or higher
test impractical as there would not be enough listeners capable of
hearing a difference. The HydrogenAudio wiki should probably be updated
accordingly.

FWIW I cannot ABX 96kbps Opus from lossless, so that's what I use for
music storage on my portable player.