[opus] Enabling bitcode for iOS

Martin Storsjö martin at martin.st
Mon Oct 19 05:00:15 PDT 2015

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015, Timothy B. Terriberry wrote:

> Pavel Punsky <Pavel.Punsky at oovoo.com> wrote:
>> What is the proper way of enabling bitcode on iOS platform?
>> I pass -fembed-bitcode in CFLAGS but it looks like it does not work
>> on assembly files.
>
> You cannot use bitcode with assembly. It may be possible if someone
> manually translates the asm into LLVM IR and then figures out how to
> embed it directly in a .S file, but that seems like a ridiculous
> amount of work for very little benefit (and would prevent further
> refactoring of this code).
>
> You will need to either use --disable-asm or not use bitcode.

Actually, as far as I know (and as far as my tests have shown), you can
build assembly (both inline and standalone .S files) into bitcode just
fine, as long as it is built via the clang frontend with -fembed-bitcode
(calling as directly will not work). IIRC the assembly is just bundled as
such within the bitcode.

// Martin