[opus] Beginner's questions/suggestions

Ralph Giles giles at thaumas.net
Mon Dec 21 10:51:48 PST 2015

On 21 December 2015 at 04:31, Ulrich Windl
<Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:

> opusenc does not display the file name it processes. In Lunux when you use some batch processing, it might be interesting! Example output for
> "for f in *.wav;do opusenc --bitrate 160 $f ${f%.wav}.opus; done":

In situations like this, i usually insert an 'echo $f;' before he
first command in the for loop.

> For the output, can't "Encoded:" and "Runtime:" be put into one line?

Probably, although it's hard to fit all three fields in 80 columns.

> The next thing I'm sursprised it that VBR bitrate 160 is exceeded even for the average most of the time:

The VBR encoding mode is designed to achieve comparable quality over a
large variety of audio with the requested average bitrate, by varying
that bitrate of each individual file depending on how difficult it is
to encode.

The bias you're seeing likely indicates that your audio collection
requires a few more bits to represent well than the collection the
encoder was tuned against. It's not a cause for concern.

Hope that helps, and thanks for your interest in Opus.

 -r