[opus] OPUS on bare metal ARM

Stephan Kanthak stylon at gmx.de
Tue Aug 25 02:23:08 PDT 2015

Hi Benjamin,

On 08/25/2015 09:25 AM, Treuillard, Benjamin wrote:
> I’m currently trying to use opus on a ST ARM (STM32F407) without any
> OS (bare metal).
>
> The aim of my project is to transmit voice over CAN bus.

I also have a project where I use Opus on an STM32F407 + ChibiOS (still
bare metal linkage). Data is being send via bluetooth.

> The main issue I have is that opus fail to allocate memory, the ALLOC
> macro always return a NULL pointer.
>
> I have sure that I have enough free space to allocate buffers.

Compile Opus by defining -DOVERRIDE_OPUS_ALLOC (I did in Makefile.unix).
Then you need to provide implementations for opus_alloc() and
opus_free() in your application. I statically allocate the whole 64KB of
fast non-DMA RAM of the STM32F407 and manage it as a heap in my
application just for the Opus codec.

Best,
Stephan