[opus] Opus multi-stream/surround: Audio corruption on decoded content

Mukund Raman mraman at nvidia.com
Wed Apr 1 18:12:10 PDT 2015

Hello Everyone,

I am using the opus 1.1 multistream APIs to encode a 5.1 surround stream on the server, stream it to client, decode it and capture the pcm data. I noticed that there was severe corruption/attenuation on one of the channels(specifically Back/Rear Right). This would appear to be the last channel in the stream. I am attaching an image of the PCM dumps from the original and the one decoded on the client which shows the channel corruption. If required I can also provide the source and destination wav files. The track I am trying to play is purely speech data, however, it has been formatted as Hi-Definition content (16 bit LPCM, 48 KHz). I'd like to add that I have also tried a simple loopback test; where I read from 'the' source file encode it, immediately decode the encoded buffer and write to a output file and I am seeing the same kind of corruption. Since my actual use-case will involve mixed media content, i.e. typically voice and music, I was a bit concerned about this.

If the file purely has music(and no speech), I do notice some attenuation, however, it does not suffer from any distortions.

Following is the code I am using for initializing the opus multi-stream encoder: -

<code>

<defines and vars>

#define CHANNELS           6
#define OPUS_SURROUND_MAPPING_FAMILY 1
#define SAMPLE_RATE 48000

typedef union t_SurroundInfo
{
    unsigned char surroundInfo[1];
    struct
    {
        unsigned char    channels;
        unsigned char    streams;
        unsigned char    coupled_streams;
        unsigned char    channel_mapping[MAX_SURROUND_CHANNELS];
    }s;
}SurroundInfo;

</defines and vars>

<encoder>

        int streams = 0; int coupled_streams = 0;
        m_SurroundInfo.s.channels = CHANNELS; // set to 6
        m_MSEnc = opus_multistream_surround_encoder_create(SAMPLE_RATE, // SAMPLE_RATE = 48000
            m_SurroundInfo.s.channels,
            OPUS_SURROUND_MAPPING_FAMILY,
            &streams,
            &coupled_streams,
            m_SurroundInfo.s.channel_mapping,
            OPUS_APPLICATION_RESTRICTED_LOWDELAY,
            &err
            );
        if (err != OPUS_OK)
            return;

        m_SurroundInfo.s.streams = (unsigned char)streams;
        m_SurroundInfo.s.coupled_streams = (unsigned char)coupled_streams;

        opus_multistream_encoder_ctl(m_MSEnc, OPUS_SET_BITRATE(bitRate));
        opus_multistream_encoder_ctl(m_MSEnc, OPUS_SET_BANDWIDTH(OPUS_AUTO));
        opus_multistream_encoder_ctl(m_MSEnc, OPUS_SET_VBR(0));
        opus_multistream_encoder_ctl(m_MSEnc, OPUS_SET_VBR_CONSTRAINT(0));
        opus_multistream_encoder_ctl(m_MSEnc, OPUS_SET_COMPLEXITY(10));
        opus_multistream_encoder_ctl(m_MSEnc, OPUS_SET_INBAND_FEC(0));
        opus_multistream_encoder_ctl(m_MSEnc, OPUS_SET_FORCE_CHANNELS(OPUS_AUTO));
        opus_multistream_encoder_ctl(m_MSEnc, OPUS_SET_DTX(0));
        opus_multistream_encoder_ctl(m_MSEnc, OPUS_SET_PACKET_LOSS_PERC(0));
        opus_multistream_encoder_ctl(m_MSEnc, OPUS_SET_FORCE_MODE(MODE_CELT_ONLY));

</encoder>

<decoder>

    int streams = (int)m_SurroundInfo.s.streams; int coupled_streams = (int)m_SurroundInfo.s.coupled_streams;
    m_MSDec = opus_multistream_decoder_create(SAMPLE_RATE,
        m_SurroundInfo.s.channels,
        streams,
        coupled_streams,
        m_SurroundInfo.s.channel_mapping,
        &err
        );

</decoder>

</code>

I'd appreciate it, if someone can shed some light on why the observed phenomenon is occurring. Could it just be that, I am playing a content that only has speech and actually forcing opus mode to CELT?

Thanks in advance.

Warm regards,

Mukund.