[opus] Alleged bug in Silk codec

Jean-Marc Valin jmvalin at jmvalin.ca
Fri Jun 20 09:46:39 PDT 2014

Hi Marcello,

Actually, we were careful to avoid the undefined behaviour here. In
fact, we are specifically running a clang test detecting undefined
behaviour. If you look at the silk_SMLABB_ovflw() macro, you will see it
is based on silk_ADD32_ovflw(), which is defined as:

#define silk_ADD32_ovflw(a, b) ((opus_int32)((opus_uint32)(a) +
(opus_uint32)(b)))

By casting to unsigned, all the cases are well defined. The cast back to
int is implementation-defined but we are already assuming two's
complement behaviour every time we are shifting.

As for using the 64-bit version anyway, I'm not sure of the impact since
I'm not the original author of the code. Koen, what are the advantages
of silk_sum_sqr_shift() over the 64-bit version? See any issue with
using one over the other?