[opus] [Opus][RFC][FFT][Fixed-Point][NEON] NEON-Optimize Fixed-Point FFT?

Viswanath Puttagunta viswanath.puttagunta at linaro.org
Wed Dec 24 05:22:28 PST 2014

Hi Phil,

**feedback based on my relatively recent experience with opus... so
any one with more experience with opus.. please correct/add as
necessary**

looking at configure.ac

AC_DEFINE([FIXED_POINT], [1], [Compile as fixed-point (for machines
without a fast enough FPU)])

So, FIXED_POINT is used even if CPU has NEON and FPU, but it's FPU is
is slow...

and looking at fixed point NEON assembly for celt_pitch_xcorr() (
celt_pitch_xcorr_arm.s).. I am assuming such a case does exist..
(Specific ARM CPUs anyone?)

This leads me to believe that there is value in optimizing fft routine
using NEON fixed point instructions for some low end ARMv7 CPUs.

FIXED POINT in opus may not be worth it for ARMv8... I would be
surprised if any one in ARM disagrees with me on this statement.... If
they do.. please let me know.. it will definitely be news to me.

Anycase, fyi.. I am currently only working on integrating ne10 float32
fft into opus... not looking at any fixed point optimizations at the
moment. Will see opus crowd's response to gauge further.

Regards,
Vish