[opus] Stereo channel separation

O'Connor, Kevin Kevin.OConnor at inin.com
Wed Nov 20 12:37:47 PST 2013

I have an application I intend to use Opus for that involves creating recordings of two-party conversations where each party is saved as a separate channel. Audio may be later processed or analyzed on a per-party basis so if audio in one channel affects the other channel, it could create problems. My question is, if I use a single stereo Opus stream, how well will channel separation be maintained? Are there any other disadvantages to doing it this way?

I would prefer to use a stereo stream. Apart from the better space efficiency, decoding applications that need a single mixed stream will get a mono mixed stream from the decoder, if they choose, instead of having to mix it themselves.

Kevin O'Connor